Tuesday, September 2, 2008

On the day I was born.....

In honor of Labor Day, I thought it would be appropriate to share with you a little about my own labor day. Of course, I don't remember too much, but here goes. I was born 27 years ago on Labor Day. (funny huh!) My due date was August 21st...my dad's birthday, but I came on September 1st. My mom went in for a regular check-up that morning and the doctor told her that everything was "fine." Disappointed that her two week overdue baby was still not ready to come out, my mom headed home and proceeded to clean the entire house. Around 4:30 that afternoon, she started to feel some contractions and her water broke. She called the doc and headed to the hospital. My parents were put in a labor and delivery room. Back then , my mom had to share her room with another birthing mother! The lady in the next curtain, was hollering "Lord Help Me Jesus, Lord Help Me JESUS!!!" This was scaring my mother!
Mom says the delivery was very easy. The doctor told my mom " I should have brought my baseball mit to catch her!" We stayed in the hospital for two days. The day we came home, Mary Jo, Jim, and Allison came down to visit. Allison is my cousin. She is about two weeks older than me. I slept the whole day that day, and stayed up crying all night long. My mom and my aunt, Mary Jo, delt with screaming babies all night while our dad's talked and smoked cigars on the front porch of the house. A good friend of my parents, Mary Lindsey, came over the next day and showed my mom and aunt how to swaddle. Allison and I slept very well the next night. All is all, my mom says that I was a good baby and that I started sleeping through the night after just a few weeks. (I hope that Emma takes after her mother on that one!) I can't wait to share Emma's birth story with all of you....just 18 short weeks!

1 comments:

KAlexander said...

You have been our pride and joy for the past 27 years. We can't wait for Emma to arrive. We love you, John Allen and Emma!!
Dad and Mom