Thursday, July 23, 2009

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate: That is the question.

My child is current on all vaccinations, but I have been reading up on this very controversial issue. I wanted to quickly run through the pros and the cons

PROS

  • Your child will be protected from many illnesses that killed children in the past.
  • Most are required for your child to enter school.
  • Will keep your little darlings from getting sick and will lower health care cost in the long run.

CONS

  • A vaccination can't be as strong of a deterent as actually getting the disease once.
  • Getting some diseases block/stop you from getting others.
  • Some doctors believe that vaccinations contribute to an erosion of the immune system.
  • Some doctors believe that vaccinations (mmr vaccine) have led to an increase in autism.

In my humble opinion, I believe it is better to be safe than sorry. These vaccines have been tested and have been proved effective in lowering the rates of these childhood illnesses. Who knows what the future holds or what changes will come. I mean twenty-seven years ago, I slept in a crib that probably had lead paint and I ate out of plastic containers that probably weren't BPA free. I turned out OK. I think. :) What are your opinions about the vaccination hoopla?

6 comments:

Duet Diva said...

Well I did lots of research on this topic because we actually thought about delaying vaccinations for Cowboy. I think that removing vaccinations entirely can be scary. You just never know what could happen to your baby when they are exposed to things. However, there has been proof that delaying vaccinations can be beneficial. In fact, TG's sister delays vacs for her kids.

Some of the negs that you hear about vacs in addition to the autism thing:

-grouped vacs (like we get for our kids) are a new thing. When we were kids, we didnt get grouped together vacs where multiple defenses were placed into one shot
-some of the ingredients used to make these grouped vacs contain aborted baby tissue (I have a SERIOUS problem with this)

You should start a group discussion on my blog frog community. Hint hint! You will get some interesting feedback!

Abby said...

I am totally pro-vaccinations, and, like DD, I did my research too and consulted with our physician. We didn't delay, but I would be interested in looking in to that for my next child.

I think that they are more helpful than harmful, as evidenced by the steep decline (if not complete absence) of many diseases that took the lives of thousands of people a century ago.

Furthermore, in the event that Becks goes to school with someone whose parent chose NOT to vaccinate them, then that kid contracts a potentially deadly disease and sits next to Beck in class sharing his/her cooties with him, I want to know that he's protected. (This shouldn't happen since vaccines are a requirement to enter school, but germ passing could happen in the grocery store, church nursery, restaraunt, etc.)

I'm just not willing to take that risk. Especially with the available vaccine to prevent such a case.

And, there you have it: my two cents :D

CygnetMommy said...

We never even considered the possibility of not vaccinating our kids! Can you imagine the pain and suffering your child (not to mention you) would go through if he or she contracted one of those potentially deadly diseases? I, for one, am okay with a few needle sticks (and a lot of screaming) to prevent my child from getting so sick.

The Bridges said...

I'm with you. We sure turned out okay! I'm getting Brayden vaccinated for sure. The diseases he could catch (from not having them) can also cause major damage to development and the brain. I trust my ped. and he is all for them as well!

Susan Isbell said...

Well you really got a discussion going with this post Kate. My children are now adults and of course they were all vaccinated and turned out great. There was some debate 20+ years ago to but folks mostly just listened to their doctors. I agree with most comments that the pros outweigh the cons. Unless a child has some other health issues, I believe that they should be vaccinated but I also believe that is a decision that is up to each parent to make. I am proud of all you young mothers who have done your research before you chose to just do what the dr. said. I need to do mine before I have any grandbabies that might come a long in a few years. (Hint to Reese and Mere!)

Jennifer said...

Very good discussion on a very contraversial issue. If you don't mind, I think I'm going to carry this over to my own blog and post my thoughts and ideas there. I'll definitely link back to you for bringing up the topic! I just think it's something every mother should be informed about.