Well for the past several nights, Emma has slept for 6 hours straight. She gets in marathan feeding sessions about every hour before she goes to sleep and then amazingly, she is out. (I should also say that she doesn't sleep much during the day, only 30 minute little cat naps between feedings.) I get confusing advice from different medical professionals. Our pediatrician says not to wake her to eat, that she will eat when she is hungry, but the lactation lady says to wake her at least every four hours to eat. I tried this one night, and it took me over an hour to get her to wake up to eat a drop. Right now, I am sticking with the advice from the pediatrician and if she hasn't gained weight by our next visit on Tuesday, we will reevaluate the situation. What do you all think?
Park City Utah
4 years ago


2 comments:
Hey Kate!
Congrats on Emma. It is amazing how quickly your life changes and how you can't imagine life without her. I have to say that you are quite lucky that Emma sleeps for that long at night. My daughter woke up every 2-3 hours to breastfeed until she was 13 months old. As a mother-baby nurse, a lactation educator, and a mom, I think that what you said is perfect. Let her sleep and see how her weight is in a few days. It is a lot easier to say to wake a baby for a feeding than it is to actually do it. As a new mom you are going to get so much advice (some good, some not so good), but just remember that it is a learning experience for all of you and to enjoy every moment. Just trust you instinct and you will be an amazing mother.
Paige (Rowland) Thompson
My pediatrician said the same thing, and I went with it. She told me that he needed to "learn" what it meant to be hungry. It worked out fine - he's HUGE now, so the weight gains comes fast! Beck, too, was a sleepy eater. Lots of cheek tickling and talking from both me and B! Congrats on the nursing! I'm sure you're doing a great job :)
Post a Comment