Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Our Little Glow-worm


We went for our first pediatrician visit on Monday. Emma's bilirubin levels had jumped up, so the doctor ordered us a bilirubin blanket and instructed us to supplement her feedings with formula until her levels went back up. (For those of you that don't know about bilirubin, high levels means that she has jaundice.) She had also lost a whole pound since birth! I am so worried about our little girl. Breastfeeding is not going as well as I had wanted, it's just so hard for her to wake up and eat! We went back to the pediatrician today to have her levels checked. She had gained 5 oz (WooHoo!!!) and the doctor said she looked a lot better. We should be getting the results from her blood work any minute. I am hoping that she is on the mend!

1 comments:

Abby said...

Kate, please keep trying to nurse! I know the first couple weeks are so difficult (on mom and baby), but I can guarantee you that you will not regret it if you persist. Beckham had LOTS of difficulty latching on and several trips to the lactation consultant he finally figured it out. It really took about a month for him to perfect it. If you need anyone to talk to about it or advise you, please feel free to email me at abzigail@gmail.com.

I'll keep Miss Emma in my prayers. She's beautiful, btw!

PS. What's up with y'all getting snow?! No fair! Send it to KY!